70% of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Tuukka Rask.
Things that I find gross and sexist about marriage
- When the dude asks team brides father for her hand in marriage
- When the father gives the bride away
- When the bride is supposed to take the husband’s last name
Also a bonus points for things I find gross and sexist about proposals
- When a guy tries to pressure his partner into saying yes by proposing very publicly and then she is vilified and he receives sympathy if she says no
So the fact that the entire wedding is focused on the bride isn’t sexist to you?
The fact that she walks down the aisle and everyone has to stand up and face her as she comes in while the groom stood up there and nobody cared about him isn’t sexist?
So the fact that the guests discuss her dress and how beautiful she looks whilst not caring about how the groom looks isn’t sexist?
If you don’t see how these are sexist your entire post is misandry and you’re a feminist who only cares about women which shows how your equality movement is actually just bull. :)
This is actually the funniest response I’ve ever got because it’s this close from saying “WHAT ABOUT TEH MENZ” so im actually going to respond
here are some radical concepts for you to consider
- the wedding day is the bride’s day because she’s socialised to believe that it’s the best day of her life
- this is because a women’s worth and self worth are inextricably linked to what she can offer to a man
- this worth can manifest itself in different ways (e.g. fuckability or “wife material”)
- notice how criticisms of women’s behavior is often in the context of whether she’ll be able to find a husband (“stay a virgin, nobody wants to marry used goods” “don’t get a tattoo! just think how that will look in your wedding dress”)
- whereas a man’s worth is linked to his achievements and skills or his ability to attain things (e.g. to be a provider, or to obtain a good wife)
- the wedding isn’t as important to the groom because what’s more important is attaining the bride.
- the reason everybody stands to watch the bride walk down the aisle is because they are actually watching the father “giving the bride away,” which is essentially the transaction of property from the father to the groom
- because remember, women aren’t people, they’re just people’s daughters or wives.
- also the reason the bride is complimented on her looks is because women are valued on their appearance whereas men are valued as people
- oh and don’t forget how if a woman becomes stressed at any point in the wedding planning, her feelings are invalidated by calling her a bridezilla
But no, you’re totally right. Grooms not being told that they look pretty on their wedding day is TOTALLY comparable to the emotional manipulation of women, the dehumanisation, objectification of women and the treatment of women as property. Totally comparable.
i always feel really uncomfortable when two heavily tattooed people have a baby and the baby comes out blank idk i just expect some tattoos